Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Roller Coasters

As I was flipping through movies on Netflix I came across Parenthood and laughed to myself. I got to thinking about the movie and how it's so easy for just about anyone to relate in some way. One of my favorite aspects of the movie is the story the elderly grandmother tells about a roller coaster ride..."I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it." That's life for you. Strapped to a metal seat being jerked in all directions. At some points during the ride we are frightened, scared, and sick. Other times we are excited, thrilled and ready to throw our arms in the air in joy, only to grab hold again at the next turn.

The past year has taken me on one hell of a roller coaster ride with downward falls and anticipation for the ride back up. The past few weeks have possibly been some of the hardest with the start of school just around the corner. I walked into work on Saturday, thinking to myself that I was too old and educated to be working a closing shift at the mall on tax-free weekend. I know that next exciting turn is just around the corner and possibly even right infront of me. I am a strong believer in "the master plan" and I know I'm on one even if I can't see the big picture just yet. I have had some high hopes that didn't play out in my favor, but maybe my plan wasn't the right one. Maybe, just maybe, God is answering my prayers as we speak and the picture isn't clear yet. My hopes are high and my spirit is strong, so I'm tightening my seatbelt and white-knuckling it for that next ride back up the roller coaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment